Sunday, August 21, 2011

Status Quo....

So the Giants are in a rut. A Mariana Trench type of rut. Injuries, wasted AB's, terrible lineups, bad defense. We all know this. Luckily, the Diamondbacks are letting the Giants lie in the weeds and hang around. 2 1/2 games is nothing with more than a month to play. But what's happening today, Sunday, might be the biggest travesty of the season thus far. Yes, even bigger than running Zito and Sanchez out there every 5th day. Bigger than trading for Cabrera and signing Tejada. Bigger even than Sabean's comments about Scott Cousins. The Giants are actually STARTING Dan Runzler today vs. the Astros.

Yep, Dan Runzler. You know, the younger, more wild, more head cased version of Johnathan Sanchez. I realize he was a starter in Fresno (2-3, 4.17 ERA and 1.57 WHIP in 10 starts), but just because you were a middle of the road starter in AAA, doesn't mean you should just automatically start when the Giants need a guy to make a spot start. Am I missing something? Seriously let me know. OK, so you say, "who else would you have start"? Ummmm, let's see, if I had to pick someone, I guess.....Guillermo Freakin' Mota!!!!! He's the Giants long reliever (3.20 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, .164 BAA with a 23:7 K:BB since the All Star break), so his arm is stretched out. I said 6 weeks ago (no proof but it's true) that Mota should be our 5th starter and Zit-chez should be DL'd for the duration.

And most would say, "well, then that will tax the bullpen because Mota will only go 5 innings". But can you tell me the last time Zit-chez went more than 5 innings with out giving up at least 5 runs? I can. Zito was July 7th and Sanchez was June 12th....yeah, June. You know, the 6th month of the year. We are now almost done with the 8th month of the year. So in all those starts those two "pitchers" had (8 starts worth), the bullpen (mainly Mota) was used anyway. So I hope Runzler goes out and deals and throws 6 innings and gives up 2 runs. I'd give up booze for a week if that happens. But doesn't 4 1/3 innings, 3 runs and 5 walks seem more likely. Then Mota comes in and throws 3 2/3 of solid relief. I hope Runzler deals but mark it down Dude (I'm sorry Smokey, there are rules, this is not Vietnam), he won't.....

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you overshot it with the 4 1/3 innings....what a joke.

    ReplyDelete