Saturday, September 10, 2011

Playing out the string...

Words you hate to hear as a baseball fan. Especially when your team won the World Series last year. But that's what we're faced with as Giants fans. The biggest reason, in my opinion? Believe it or not, it's not Bochean's ineptitude. Seriously. I guess you could thank Scott Cousins, Freddy's shoulder, and Panda's hamate bone. Oh, throw in Nate's right foot, Beltran's wrist and B Weezy's right elbow. Yeah, it's injuries. Were they good enough to win despite those injuries? I say yes but it's debatable. I think if they made a few different moves (in game moves and roster moves), they had a shot. So I'd say it's a 60/40 split. 60% injuries, 40% Bochean/Veterans not playing to their potential.

So what to do next year? Well, let's talk about what they do have offensively. Posey, Huff, Sanchez and Panda. You can mark that. Huff is getting paid $10 million next year and you can be sure the Gaints aren't going to eat Rowand's, Zito's and Huff's money next year (yes, that's what the Giants are doing, eating Zito's contract. Can anyone say that they think he will ever contribute on a baseball field again?). So who plays SS? It's fairly clear the Giants brass (using that term loosely, they're more of a pewter I think) doesn't believe in Crawford is the answer. So going off that belief, I'd say Keppinger has earned the respect of Giants players, coaches and fans. He deserves a 3 year deal (the only caveat to that would be if the Giants can sign Jose Reyes. He would be A#1 on my off season list). That's it. You can stay in house or hit a homerun with Reyes. So that leaves the OF.

So the guys who are UFA's (unrestricted free agents) are Ross, Burrell and Beltran. I can't see the Giants signing Cody Ross next year. He made $6.3 million this year and produced about $1.3 million worth. Unless he takes a huge pay cut, he's gone. Burrell should become a coach. Period. Now, if they want Beltran, I think he'd stay at the right price. He made $18.5 million this year. I see him getting a 2-3 year deal worth in the $12-$15 million per year. He's 33 and I'd be totally fine with a 3 year deal. He's that good. Now onto guys who are arbitration eligible. Torres and Nate. I could see both of them re-signing as backups. Nate could find a starting gig elsewhere but he stays home I think. Torres would have to sign as a 4th or 5th outfielder. He made $2.2 million this year. He won't be getting a raise so I'd take him.

There are a few names I'd love to see on the Giants next year. Michael Bourn is tops on the list. Now, he's arbitration eligible with the Braves but if the Giants could pry him away, he's EXACTLY what they need. An real life leadoff hitter. Other guys you may have never heard of. -Emilio Bonifacio. He plays in Forida, is a SS, but also played in center this year. He's arbitration eligible but could be had in a trade. Love him at the top of an order.
-Angel Pagan. Also arbitration eligible but the Mets could part with him. Switch hitter with pop and lotsa speed. He pushed Beltran from center to right so we know he has skills in the OF.
-Coco Crisp. From right across the Bay. Keeps the ball in play, is an UFA and the guy can flat out play.

Those are just a few guys who could leadoff and play CF. I've heard Grady Sizemore as well but I think that would be a horrible move. Haven't they had enough of the injury bug? Sizemore has had like 37 knee operations in 9 months. P.S. I haven't even talked about Belt and Pill. That's a discussion for another day. But as the season winds down and the football season kicks off, there will be a shift in focus here at 6 Demon Bag SF. Th Giants will always be #1 in my heart, but I've got to stay relevant. Thanks for the support thus far and I hope to keep entertaining.

Oh and P.P.S. - if you're reading this, when you're done, click on one of the adds on the blog and check 'em out. It helps me and you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment